sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My 2010 highlander is all of a sudden not going into drive,

Customer Question

Hello, my 2010 highlander is all of a sudden not going into drive, reverse, or anything. Then I got a warning message that said Brake malfunction......also got one that indicated an issue with the ABS. What the heck????
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? And have the brakes been squeaking?
Customer: checked the fluid, it is fine. the brakes have squeaked a few times but not consistently.
JA: Are you fixing your Highlander yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes we are....checked fuses, brake fluid, not sure what else to do. It won't go into drive so can't get it to service.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds like you may have a brake switch issue. A bad brake switch can caue the warning messages you're seeing and could also cause the trans issue depending on what you're actually experiencing there.

Does the transmission not go into gear when the shifter is placed there, or is the problem actually that the shifter won't move from park?