Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

There is a small wire connector with 2 wires coming out of

Customer Question

there is a small wire connector with 2 wires coming out of it going in to the block that rats chewed. I am looking to see what the connector is called and how to unhook from the block, as there is not much room
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: I don't have a wiring diagram, but it has something to do with the starting of the car.
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2000 forefunner 3400
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: all i have done is unclip the broken end from the wire. am trying to figure out how to unhook the connector that goes into the top of the engine
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 4 months ago.

Hello, do these wires go under the intake manifold at the front? Can you upload a picture of that connector and what color are the wires? Does the engine start and run?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They they are in front of the manifold underneath it. One connector has a clip with two wires coming out of it I believe a blue and a brown or green and a brown wire. It goes into a plug in the block which might be a threaded plug
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The engine does not start and run

Thanks, ***** ***** like it's for the knock sensor but this should not keep it from starting. What happens when you try to start, does the engine just crank without firing up?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It cranks without firing up

Ok, it may be the connector for the camshaft position sensor, this would keep it from starting, let me look at a wiring diagram and match up those wire colors you gave me.

Those wire colors don't match anything in the engine control diagram, is there any way you can take a picture of this connector and it's location on the engine?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My camera is not working. The two wires are brown and green and they come from a wiring harness on the left-hand side of the front of the engine and they go into a plug in the block of the engine in front of the manifold. The connector that goes into the engine looks like it might be threaded connector
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The connector comes out of the side of the engine just in front to the right of the front spark plug on the left-hand side

bcd94d71-e1fd-4d52-8439-68424a4e7e8d_parts.pdf

Click on this link and let me know which connector it is,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiZ95m-krPRAhWnw1QKHbxQDr0QjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.toyota-4runner.org%2F3rd-gen-t4rs%2F59008-how-installing-3rd-gen-spark-plugs.html&psig=AFQjCNF3cESduySuvf8MBGLZVHDnCUQtuA&ust=1483982131240959

I have to go offline for about an hour, take your time and please be sure to locate the correct one.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have a mac and can't figure how to send a file from it
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have a picture on my phone I can send you if you give me a cell or email

email it to me at***@******.***

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just sent it to you

Don't see it yet, try text to(###) ###-####/p>

Charging my phone now may take a few minutes for me to see it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
You should have it in your email now

Ok, where do the wires attached to the connector go? where is the other side of the connector and where does it end up?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
You should see two wires sticking up that a bear on the end that go into the engine block is only a short distance from the connector to those wires in there just below the connector
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can you see the two wires that are bare on the end sticking out of the block?

I'll have to lighten it up a bit and maybe enlarge it.

Ok, got it, let me see now if I can match them up.

It looks like it's for the camshaft position sensor, can you see the other wire colors coming out of the connector? Where is the other half of the connector, the part that plugs into this one do you still have it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have the female end It has a brown and green wire coming out of it

Ok then just splice the wires together matching the wire colors, I would solder them and then insulate them.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There is not enough wire sticking out of the female connector to solder too. The rats chewed it. What is the name of that connector so I can pick it up at the local Toyota dealership?

In the wiring diagram it is the C2 connector indicated in the connector list for the engine control system.. ( for the cam angle sensor) be sure to take the old one with you in case they have questions.