Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

When making a right hand turn, there is a low noise like

Customer Question

when making a right hand turn, there is a low noise like "thump, thump, thump' had the tire guy look at it and can find nothing wrong. Have snow tires on rig. no symptoms with left turn. Happens on snow roads or dry. tire guy suggests it might be transmision but I am skeptical
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: feels like and sounds like drivers side font tire
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: It began about a month ago, coincidentally right after we had the snow tire installed but I have had two tire shops say it is not the tires 2006 Rav 4
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: only inspection since we can find nothing wrong
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: we have had all recall items with this car completed which included some rear suspension bolts
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

he how are you

This is the Front & rear suspension of components involved that could be causing that noise but first I like from you to read the TSB ( technical service bulltein )

below & we can go from there

please click on the blue link to diagram to view the vin# ***** number of vehicle effected and tell me if your vin# ***** in that range

2006 Toyota Truck RAV4 2WD L4-2.4L (2AZ-FE)

Save Article

SUSPENSION SU009-07 REVISED Title: KNOCKING NOISE FROM FRONT SUSPENSION Models: '06 - '07 RAV4 September 13, 2007 TSB REVISION NOTICE: ^ October 12, 2007: The Introduction and Step 4 of the Repair Procedure have been updated. Previous versions of this TSB should be discarded. Introduction Some customers may experience a thump or knocking noise coming from the front of the vehicle when traveling over bumps. This TSB includes repair information and updated parts information to address the condition. Use the following repair procedure to remove and replace the front spring assembly and spring bumper. Applicable Vehicles ^ 2006 - 2007 model year RAV4 vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs in this TSB.

Zoom and Print Options

Production Change Information

Zoom and Print Options

Warranty Information

Applicable Warranty*:
This repair is covered under the Toyota Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 36 months or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.

* Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint.

Zoom and Print Options

Parts Information

Repair Procedure

1. Test drive the vehicle and confirm the condition.

2. Once the condition has been confirmed, remove both front struts.

Refer the Technical Information System (TIS), 2006 or 2007 model year RAV4 Repair Manual, Suspension - Front Suspension - "Suspension: Front Shock Absorber With Coil Spring: Removal".

Zoom and Print Options

3. Once the strut assemblies have been removed from the vehicle, disassemble the strut assembly.

Refer to TIS, 2006 or 2007 model year RAV4 Repair Manual, Suspension - Front Suspension - "Suspension: Front Shock Absorber With Coil Spring: Disassembly".

Zoom and Print Options

4. Once the front strut assembly has been disassembled, install the plastic sheet on the NEW front spring bumper and replace the coil spring.

5. Reassemble the front strut assembly.

Refer to TIS, 2006 or 2007 model year RAV4 Repair Manual, Suspension - Front Suspension - "Suspension: Front Shock Absorber With Coil Spring: Reassembly".

6. Install the front strut assembly.

Refer to TIS, 2006 or 2007 model year RAV4 Repair Manual, Suspension - Front Suspension - "Suspension: Front Shock Absorber With Coil Spring: Installation".

7. Once the struts have been installed in the vehicle, perform an alignment correcting any change in camber and toe.

8. Road test the vehicle to confirm that the "knocking" noise is NO longer present and that the vehicle is aligned.

© 2017 ALLDATA, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use (Version 2.0.13830)

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
this noise doesn't occur or change over bumps. It is consistent and reproducable and occurs every time I make a right hand bend in the road. Rhythmic noise faster at high speeds
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I do not understand your question about VIN rang
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
are you done with me? I was expecting more conversation

see if the vehicle you have the vin of it fall in the vin range on the diagram ,if it does yours is effected '

click on diagram to see vin # range #

http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/jhook1398/9c7ec4d8-34a1-4b25-b9fe-d9cf97068e1b_7.gif

look at your vin# ***** see id that number falls in the vin range of effected vehicles

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It does not seem to match
close but not quite
JTMBK33V885067973

let them check your strut mounts and sway bar end links and cv axles ,these are the most common issues for that thumb nosie

check the diagram i sent you for all front & rear suspension parts to view

Please let me know if you need anything else on it

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat