Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics
18617752

Our newly purchased 2010 toyota avalon is experiencing a gas

Our newly purchased 2010 toyota avalon is experiencing a gas tank problem . When we fill the gas tank the nozzle fits into tank fill opening ok but it stops filling every few seconds. Is there a air relief valve that may be plugged?

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

After fueling the vehicle, are there any engine performance issues (stuttering, skipping, poor response, etc) for a short while?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No engine performance problems

Ok. Great. The nozzle shutting off while fueling is more commonly a problem with the Purge Vale (aka "VSV for EVAP). It's located under the hood, on the engine (for an image location view, click here: ). Carefully inspect the vacuum lines from teh Purge to the Canister (rear underside of vehicle) for any cracks, holes or disconnections. If the inspection checks ok, I'd recommend replacing the Purge Valve. Please remember to leave a rating using the 'stars' or click 'Accept'. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks. Will check the purge valve.

You're welcome! Glad I could be of some help today! Please remember to leave a rating using the stars at the top of the page! Have a great day!

Lee, I just noticed I forgot to add the image location! My apologies. Click here: https://goo.gl/F3vBeQ

Hi Lee. I noticed this thread was still open so I wanted to check in and see how you made out? Did replacing the Purge Valve solve the problem? Were there any other questions you had on this issue? Any other info I can provide to better assist?