sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

2015 Toyota 4Runner kept in garage at plus 39 degrees. This

Customer Question

2015 Toyota 4Runner kept in garage at plus 39 degrees. This morning I went out in -34 degrees and the check engine light, vsc lights came on and have not gone off. Any thoughts? thank you.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Sorry, no down arrow at the top of the box, just an x to close the box.
JA: Are you fixing your 4Runner yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Not sure what to do. nearest dealer is 120 miles away. Retightened the fuel cap, but have not fuel in vehicle since last month.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Same gas mileage, starts the same. Wondering if extreme temp change played a role in the electronics.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are many things that will cause these warning lights to come on and it will require some testing to determine what the problem is. Unless you're out of warranty by mileage then the repair would be covered.

These warning lights come on when a failure is seen and a fault code sets. The stability control light will come on if there is an engine performance concern that will affect the stability control system's ability to receive torque when requested. The engine light can come on for literally dozens of reasons, a failure in any sensor, coils, spark plugs, it could be wiring, etc.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a code reader or scan tool to see what fault codes have set and then testing can be done from there.