Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

Bought used 2005 Camry - has factory alarm system, but key

Customer Question

Bought used 2005 Camry - has factory alarm system, but key did not have associated remote so I bought one and programmed it to the car. Everything went smoothly, but with each lock or unlock, not only does car beep once or twice, but horn honks once or twice. Unable to find help online about disabling the "honking" of the car when remote keys are pressed. Any ideas?
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?
Customer: Yes
JA: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I programmed the remote myself using some simple steps. I have tried several things that people say online as far as turning the key to on, then off, then pressing any of the remote buttons twice. Steps like that.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No OK
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your input to my questions so I can help you better. This depends on the system you have in your vehicle but just to program a fob you can do it manualy as you have but to change it's operation or what happens to it's procedures you have to hook up a scanner such as a shop scanner that has a customization feature in it to access that system and pick it's operation features to enable or disable them. Hope this helps you what to do .