Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

My trac off light came on the other night. The car lurched

Customer Question

My trac off light came on the other night. The car lurched 3-4 times - I thought I just hit some ice, but then the trac off light appeared.
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: It is a message light on the dashboard display- yellow in color
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2001 Solara
JA: Are you fixing your Solara yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, I was not going to try to fix it myself- don't have any tools. I have a good mechanic, but I thought I'd do some research to see if an easy reset option was available.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just had the car in the shop and replaced the 1,3,5 injectors. I had been driving the car for about a day when the check engine light came on again. I do plan on taking it back in to my mechanic next week if weather allows.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 12 days ago.

Thanks for posting

The check engine light will also trigger the trac off light, this is by design and it will stay on as long as the check engine light is on, it sounds like the engine has a misfire, possibly on the same cylinders again, can you have the engine light codes read? You can just take it to an autoparts store like autozone and they help you get the code information from the computer and then I can give you some more information what to do, or you can go back to the mechanic and let me know what they say and I'll get back to you.