Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  Automotive Instructor at Palm Beach State College
93113249

1994 V-6 Camry: A/C switch light on dash will light after

1994 V-6 Camry: A/C switch light on dash will light after pressed but will sometimes flash and system will not cool.
So far changed compressor, H/L pressure switch, expansion vale, rec/ dryer and thermiistor

Hi, My name is***** you changed the a/c amplifier?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No!! Should I? And Where do I get one?

The a/c amplifier is very common to cause the a/c to not come on intermittently. It is located behind glove box on a/c unit. You may get one most any parts store or dealer.

Please accept answer and rate me 5 STARS. Thanks.

Do you have any more questions for me? If not then accept answer and rate me 5 STARS. Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will have to pick up a 2nd hand amp and see if it works.

The problem with the second hand one is it may show up with same exact problem and you would not know if problem is fixed unless you get lucky.

Let me know if it works for you. If you have no other questions then accept answer and please rate my answers 5 STARS. Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are there new ones available?

I do not know if they are you would need to call parts store?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Let's wait and see if the part that you suggested changing fixes the problem.

Ok. Let me know if you find a new or a used one to put in.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Problem still there. Changing the amp did not fix the problem. The new compressor that we installed now locks up also. The old one occasionally did that. Any ideas? Light flashes also!!

I am out of ideas at the moment and am opting out to see if there is another expert that can help you out.

When you say the compressor locks up do you mean the belt stops moving and the compressor is squealing? If the a/c is overcharged it can do this. The compressor has an rotation sensor on it and if compressor stops when it should not then the light will blink. You need to get pressures checked to see if high pressure goes above 250 psi. If it does then see if radiator fans are on.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
we changed the amplifier. Still NG.We finally changed the compressor and the condenser and it seems to be OK now. I won't really know until it gets hot here again. The tech that worked on it said that the condenser was full of oil and the compressor was locked up. I can't really rate you since we don't know what the problem was. It's too cold here in Florida right now to tell.

If you notice you told me you replaced the compressor, expansion valve, thermistor, H/L pressure switch and rec/drier. When the compressor was replaced the condenser and evaporator should of been flushed. After you put in the amp like I advised then the compressor tried to come on and locked up since the system was overcharged. Once the correct amount of oil and freon was put in the amp worked the compressor as it should. I think the amp fixed the issue even though you had to do some other re fix on compressor charge. I think I correctly diagnosed the problem for you and should deserve the 5 STAR rating. Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We'll never know what fixed it if it is in fact fixed. I really have no way of telling. The tech in FL sez that there was too much oil in the system. The best outcome on this is that I get my $ back on the original compressor. I've spent almost $2,000 on this. let's hope that it's finished.I do agree that the system should have been flushed after the new compressor was installed and a new condenser was needed.. AND it was an intermittent problem which made matters worse.