Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2012 Camry hybrid XLE. It appears I need to buy a

Customer Question

I have a 2012 Camry hybrid XLE. It appears I need to buy a 12 volt battery. Please tell me the truth. Dealer says I have to pay $350 because it us a special battery. BUT I hear that isn't so and can buy from any battery dealer. Which is correct?
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: I have AAA smartreck that emailed me that my voltage is now at 11.8 and recommends to be tested.
JA: Are you fixing your Camry Hybrid yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have always taken it to the same Toyota dealer I bought it from at Walker Toyota in Dayton Ohio. Not sure if I have problems with my 12 volt battery or not. Never had any problems starting or warning signs go on.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that is it.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Thomas Ragusa replied 5 months ago.

Hello, My name is***** am a certified automotive technician and would like to help you. I did alittle research on your vehicle, and although there is nothing "special" about your battery there is no direct fit aftermarket battery for your vehicle, That being said many people have been putting in a smaller battery, one for the prius' here is a link to a website I found explaining a few things. http://www.elearnaid.com/12vobafortoc.html