Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

First, my 2004 Toyota Tundra 3.4L 4x4. When I start the

Customer Question

First, my 2004 Toyota Tundra 3.4L 4x4. When I start the truck in Park there is no noise, when I put it in gear I hear a rattle from underneath the truck. And can hear it as I pull out of my not so gentle driveway. Haven't noticed at higher speeds,but....I have noticed a bit of a noise while coasting at 45-55 and I can feel it in the pedal as well. Also every once in a while I will hear and feel and clunk underneath what feels like front drivers side. Just giving all info in case anything could be connected
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for posting,

The rattle noise is most likely coming from an exhaust component, possibly an exhaust heat shield or a loos e baffle in the catalytic converter or there may be contact between the exhaust system and the frame. The clunk can be caused by loose transmission crossmember bolts or a cracked crossmember, this used to be common on these Tundras and I believe there was a service bulletin to replace the crossmember.