sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My keyfob on my 2009 toyota venza wont open my car door.

Customer Question

My keyfob on my 2009 toyota venza wont open my car door. Changed the batteries last week as the car told me the fobs needed to be charged.
JA: Have you changed a battery before?
Customer: I hust purchased the vehicle 2 wks ago, so no.
JA: Are you fixing your Venza yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Changed back to the old batteries and nothing. Noticing a red light on the fob now.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The guy at the dealership (not Toyota) wanted me to bring the fobs in to see if they are transmitting. And he said I might need to have it towed in and maybe the vehicle needs a new battery. It worked fine on Sunday and was in the garage yesterday.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It's very possible that the fob is not transmitting and it's equally as possible that there is an issue on the car such as a dead battery, keyless entry receiver or power distribution issue, etc. The first thing that will need to be done from this point is either have the fob tested to see if it's transmitting or get the vehicle open and then see if the battery is dead. If the battery is good and the fob is transmitting then it's going to require some deeper electrical testing. Most big chain parts stores such as Autozone will test fobs for free.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** quite right! I was finally able to use the "key" to open the door and found that the dome light switch was not in the middle where it was supposed to be. How embarrassing, I had caused the battery to go dead! Not able to jump the vehicle, in my garage, I went to Walmart and bought a Schumacher power jump starter. It came 80% charged. I hooked it up, turned it on, and everything electrical came to life and the vehicle started right up. Even though I was able to solve my own problem, it was comforting to know that this service was available to me. Thank you!

Excellent, I'm glad you got it started!