Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

2006 prius will not start

2006 prius will not start

Do you have a code reader to check for malfunction code that would be set engine computer? Is the battery fully charged at this time?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I tried to read the code with a couple of readers I have. The readers successfully connect to the ipad i am using but they say there is no data coming from the car due to too little current. The 12 v battery was dead this morning when I did the test so I put it on the charger and will try again tonight. I will report in later.

ok

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Obd 2 transmitter still connects to iPad but will not find car data. I have used 2 different transmiter/readers with 2 different iPad apps.
Lights, horn, fob battery, door lock all work ok.
I push down brake and press power button and hear a (fuel pump?) turn on.
"Key" button under steering wheel pushed in or out and no difference. I left it in the in position.
I press the power button by itself w no result.

Will The system ready on if you put the key fob in the slot on the instrument panel just below the start button?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can call but not at moment. I will call later as that is probably a good idea.

The phone service is an automated service and is available. If you would like to go that route just accept the offer and supply the phone information and I will get back to when you are ready.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no it does not do that

Make sure your iPad and that cable you're using works on another known good running Toyota. Just want to rule out it's not a cable or communication issue with the iPad. I'm not familiar with that particular set up. We will also need some type of voltmeter or simple 12 V test light to check for voltages to confirm whether the diagnostic plug is getting power to it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The diagnostic plug lights up. The connection is wifi and it shows as connected via the app on the iPad. I can check the testing equipment on my other prius tonight but I am currently at work.

OK

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I ran the scan tool on a 2005 Prius it works fine after I turn car on. When I plug the tool into the 2006 Prius I get lights flashing on the tool but I get the following error message (see attached):

If you are 100% certain that it's not a connection issue with the scan tool or the cable and you have 12 V and ground that the proper pins on the diagnostic port this only leaves a communications issue on the network. That gets quite complicated quickly to test and check that it requires removing the 12 the battery cable and ohm testing the high-speed can network to both power and ground. Is that something you will be able to do?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i can do that testing as long as i have more specific instructions. I also noticed my smart key will not lock and unlock doors if that means anything. The red light on the key flashes normally.

Forgot to ask if you have the key fob in the slot on the instrument panel then push down on the brake pedal does the LED in the start button turn green or orange or does it not even come on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will check that.

OK

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It does not turn on but it is backlit

Do you have any other key to try? Do the Brake lights come on when the brake pedal is pushed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No other key available. Yes the brake lights come on when i depress the brake pedal. Directionals do not work however.

Any chance you can post a short video clip or a link to a video clip showing you depressing the brake pedal and pushing the start so I can see what exactly is going on with the display and warning lights that would be helpful.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sure i will do that. It will be tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I appreciate your patience with this.

Ok

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Video is too large for this site but you can use this link to access it. https://1drv.ms/v/s!Aj8MAJ52e8j0gYQ4XPYoWN6-bqdkXg I had the trickle charger on it last night and it says fully charged on the charger. I am wondering if it is possibly the key although I changed the battery with the smart key in another prius (my other prius-2005) and it worked in that smart key. I bought this car used 3 years ago and there was only one key. I tried jumping the car a while back with my truck hooked up to the battery in the rear of the prius and it did not start.

That flashing security light on the instrument panel even after the key is placed into the slot on the dashboard indicates that the immobilizer system is not recognizing that key fob. That's why nothing is turning on. This could be a problem in the immobilizer system or the key fob itself could be bad. If that's the only key that you have this is a problem. The only way to override the system is to have a scan tool that will communicate with the immobilizer system to program a key and that typically can only be done at the dealership. Without having the key working so that the immobilizer system will allow the vehicle to turn on this will not start. Now you could have a power supply problem to the immobilizer system the only way to rule that out is to check for voltage at every fuse in the fuse block under the hood and the fuse block inside the vehicle. Making sure that those that are supplied with battery voltage KEY OFF have power to them. At this point you're probably going to need to take this to the dealer and have a new key programed to it. The system has to be completely rewritten when you have no functioning keys. By that I mean the dealership has to erase the memory in the computer and then rewrite new codes to new keys. The fact that the immobilizer system is not coming on would explain why your scan tool will not communicate with the system because is not coming online. I will give you the pin out diagram click the link and check the resistance of the pins indicated. This is the high-speed can system and battery voltage and ground pins. The resistance on the high-speed can network needs to be approximately 62 ohms. You should have no resistance to ground and no resistance to the 12 V battery terminal in this connector. Do these resistance checks with the 12 V battery disconnected. Using your ohmmeter check for resistance between terminal number 6 and terminal number 14. It should be approximately 62 ohms then leaving one of the probes in terminal 6 take the other probe and check for continuity to pin 16 and pin 4 there should be no continuity or above 20k there then switch and probe pin 14 and check for continuity to pin 4 an pin 16 there should be no or above 20k continuity there either. If these resistance checks turn out okay then the high-speed can network is not shorted to ground and not shorted to the 12 V lead and has the proper resistance and the system should be communicating. The next thing to do would be to make sure you have 12 V to pin 16 once you reattach the battery cable and you should have less than 1 ohm of resistance from terminal four to any metal surface that's clean. That would indicate that the ground circuit to the DLC three connector is normal. If these checks and test turn out okay and you have 12 V to the fuses in the junction block under the hood that are supposed to have 12 V then the problem is in the immobilizer key for the immobilizer system itself.

There was a typo on the resistance values from the can network either pin number six or pin number 14 to the B+ terminal 16 and ground terminal pin four. There should be more than 1 million ohms resistance not 20 K.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will check this out. Thank you.

You are welcome.