Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

I have a 2009 rav 4 i just bought. all 3 of the 12v

Customer Question

i have a 2009 rav 4 i just bought. all 3 of the 12v cigarette outlets don't work and neither does the clock and radio. I've checked all of the fuses and pulled the radio to make sure the wiring was connected.
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 19 days ago.

Stand by while I take a look at the wiring diagram to see what's in common with these circuits.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
thank you

There are three fuses two of those fuses control the power outlets the 7.5 amp ACC fuse controls the circuit for the relay to turn power on to the two power outlets. There is a 15 amp PWR outlet fuse that supplies power to the outlets themselves. Then there is a 15 amp CIG fuse which controls power simply to the cigarette lighter. The common fuse is the 7.5 amp ACC fuse this controls power to both the Radio head unit and the coil winding side of the relay for the power outlets. All of these fuses are located in the fuse box on the left side of the instrument panel. Double check all these fuses and make sure the none are blown and check to see that you have power to them. Typically I like to use a simple 12 V test light and back probe both sides of the fuse at the little indentations and if you only have power on one side the fuse it is blown. Let me know we find that point.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
ok I'll go check now

OK

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I checked, it wasn't that
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
i even changed the fuses just to make sure and there is still no power

Do you have 12 volts to any of those 3 fuses with the key on?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
how could I determine if the problem is after the fuse box?

we need to rule out whether there's power to those fuses or not you have to start there. Do you have a voltmeter or simple 12 volt test light?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
i have a 12 volt test light
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
they all have power

I am at lunch. As soon as I get back I will look at the wiring diagram and see what the next possible step would be.

Click this link and save the illustration. The number five relay block has 2 relays and that one is accessory relay and one is the power outlet relay swap the two relays and see if the problem changes. Can you feel if either relay is clicking on when the key is turned to the accessory position? You are certain that the 15 amp CIG fuse has power to it and has no power to the outlet?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I'm positive about the 15amp, I just switched the relays and there is no difference, I don't hear any clicking when key is turned to acc

At the cigarette lighter which is the power outlet socket in the front consul box in the center does it have 12 V to the gray wire at the connector?