Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

2014 Tacoma 4x4 Access cab bought used, with no key fobs;

Customer Question

2014 Tacoma 4x4 Access cab bought used, with no key fobs; but vehicle has electric door locks (interior). I am trying to determine if remote key fobs would work. tried the programming sequence - key in/out, etc. several times without going into programming mode. Have read that an alternative is to short out wire ! of the Data Link Connector (to pin 4) to get it to go into program mode. Do you know if the Data Link Connector approach works?
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: I have no Fob.
JA: Are you fixing your Tacoma yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Tried to get Tacoma into fob programming mode - but doors do not cycle lock/unlock.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you tell me what liter engine is in your model here and I will see what program method I can locate on this?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Pete. It has the 2.7 I4; 5sp MT. Bill
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Unfortunately I am unable to place a call on this here myself but others see you have requested a call and may still call on this here.I can however continue here.

It sounds like you have attempted the correct programming mode to program this here.If the vehicle did not go into program mode this can indicate either this model didnt come equipped with key less entry.The keyless entry receiver is located behind the glove box in the dash as shown below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iu90g6gmqy1eu1d/rec-01-01.gif?dl=0

You can check for this receiver to see if it is located here.If it is not then no keyless entry is on your model here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete