Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

My 2006 had the battery replaced 2yrs - 2014. the battery

Customer Question

My 2006 had the battery replaced 2yrs - 2014. the battery has a 5 yr,
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: warrenty from Walmart. the car has had the battery discharge twice in the last month. Walmart check the battery and the altenator and they both check Ok 12.6v and 14.2v ac. battery measured 820 cca rated 725 cca. Can you tell me why it keeps neeeding to be recharged?
JA: What is the model of your '06 Toyota?
Customer: Camery XLE
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I ceeheck the voltage twice a week and the altinator is puting out 14.2vac
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no , I just cannot under stand why the battery does not stay charged.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. If the battery is discharged to the point where the car will not start, you have one of the following problems:

1) the battery has a faulty plate

2) The alternator is not outputting proper amperage

3) There is a parasitic draw in the electrical system

Without a special test device, you cannot measure amperage output of the alternator. If the alternator is putting out the proper voltage, it may not be putting out the proper amperage. This causes the battery to not charge properly. If you have a parasitic draw, that means something is 'on' when it is supposed to be off with the car off. This can be easily checked with a 12 volt DC testlight. If you would like instructions to do that, I can help you there too. The amperage test will need to be done by a shop with alternator test equipment.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1) Walmart has checked the with their test equipment. checks out good.
2) I will have the alternator amperage checked.
3) also will have parasitic draw checked

The amperage output is critical. The alternator runs the electrical accessories and also charges the battery. If the amperage output is low, you are not putting enough charge into the battery. Voltage output is critical, but has no bearing on the amperage output.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer