Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have over 20 years experience in the automotive service industry.
29534642

When i shiftin drive my 94 corolla barley mobes but revs it

Customer Question

When i shiftin drive my 94 corolla barley mobes but revs it will reverse but not go into drive last week it wouodnt reverse but drive
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: No leaking and trans is old as car i believe
JA: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Transmission fluid oil
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It got worae since yesterday it drives even less now
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

Hello, and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

What if you put the transmission in manual L gear, does it help in taking off then?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No
Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

And you have checked the transmission fluid level and the transmission fluid level is full correct?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I cant afford it
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Im sitting in the car now its barely moving in drive but drives
Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

I am asking if you checked the transmission fluid level, Please disregard that automated phone call message, This particular problem we don't need to talk on the phone for this issue in my opinion.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It will drive in rev but not forward
Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

I understand the symptoms, did you check the transmission fluid level to be sure it was full? You check it hot idling in park,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Trans level is ok
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Levels ok
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello
Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

alright, In that case, if it doesn't pull in manual Low gear, then the transmission has internal problems, as manual L gear is suppoed to apply manually without using any other inputs via just moving the shift linkage, I hate to be the bearer of bad news on this, but that transmission will have to come out and be overhauled or rebuilt or replaced in order for you to drive that car normally anymore I'm afraid. I recommend Aamco for a rebuild, they do give a 12/12 warranty on any unit they rebuild, if you put a used unit in it, be sure you get a warranty from the junkyard for at least 30 days. That is going to be the best course of action for you if you do plan on keeping this car now. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Why does it reverse
Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

because the reverse clutches are likely alright and not burned, transmission function operates from a planetary gear set, a sun gear in the middle, planet gears (usually 3 or 4) that rotate around the sun gear, and a ring gear that rotates around the planets, depending on which clutch has failed and burned up, it can lose reverse, 1st gear, or 2cd gear etc. I believe you have a low band that has likely lost the friction material on it. It's probably never been out and never been rebuilt as they do last a good while, just not forever.