Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a 2015 sienna with smart key, i can't get it to

Customer Question

i have a 2015 sienna with smart key, i can't get it to start. replaced the battery and checked all fuses but it does not start. anything else i could check?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the starter engaging at all to crank over the engine?

Is this a push button start with no key access to start it?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it is a push button, it does not crank. all electronics seem to be working.
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Did this just occur suddenly?

Do you hear any clicking noises under the hood at all in the engine bay area?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it did happen suddenly. minivan had been working fine. no clicking noises but rather just a humming noise
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Is the humming noise coming from under the hood when trying to start?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I checked again and it does make a faint click sound, along with the humming sound from under the hood when trying to start. no crank whatsoever
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

O.k.,this sounds like the common fault of the starter motor itself.This is common unfortunately as I have seen and had to replace before in the past.The starter will fail suddenly like this here and will cause these noises when trying to start the engine.

I would have the starter circuit tested to verify that this is the component at fault here needing replaced as I suspect it is.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete