Jim
Jim, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  California smog licensed, ASE ceritied in L1, A6, A8 for over 30 years professionally
25319281

I put a whole new after market exhaust on and change both 02

Customer Question

I put a whole new after market exhaust on and change both 02 sensors and still getting code p2195
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: Well the code im getting when i scan it cause my check engine light is on is p2195 and saying maybe the upstream one..i just replce that 5 days ago
JA: What is the model of your '02 Toyota?
Customer: Its a scion tc 2006
JA: Are you fixing your tC yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes i did..i put a whole new after market exhaust on and change both 02 sensors..
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Toyota
Expert:  trung do replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Trung. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP. At the end of our conversation and if your happy kindly rate my services, that is how i get credit for it. 5 star would be apprecitated .

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
To let u know the stock exhaust was bad and had huge hole in it..drove like that for a month or so and check engine light was on of course..so i replace the whole thing with an after market one and replace both 02 sensors..had codes clear and check engine light came on again with code p2195
Expert:  trung do replied 2 months ago.

so this code is had a lot of meaning - Faulty Oxygen Air/Fuel Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1
- Oxygen Air/Fuel Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1 harness is open or shorted
- Oxygen Air/Fuel Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1 circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty EFI Relay
- Faulty Injector
- Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)

Expert:  trung do replied 2 months ago.

what brand o2 sensor did u replace with

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ultra power i believe is the brand..i was thinking maybe its wrong or just sucks cause i guess from what i read they had problems with the upstream one in 2005 2006..so do i need to buy the actual one from Toyota? Denso?
Expert:  trung do replied 2 months ago.

that the best one I usually put bosch , denso , or import direct last choice , but I have not heard of ultra power sensor .

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
u think that 02 sensor is just a crap part?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Got that part from rock auto. .just look yeah its called ultra power
Expert:  trung do replied 2 months ago.

yeah o2 sensor sometime is very sensitive with a lot aftermarket one is sometime hard to tell if it good . best way is check the connector for 12 voltage reference voltage if it there then ecm is good .

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Check the plug on the car that it plugs into or the plug on the sensor..does the car need to be on?
Expert:  trung do replied 2 months ago.

yes the connector to the sensor . check voltage there with key on engine off is ok .

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have a multimeter do i just touch the prongs from the meter to the teeth of the connector?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry still new at this stuff
Expert:  trung do replied 2 months ago.

yes either two silver or two gold terminal .

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thank you!
Expert:  trung do replied 2 months ago.

If more help is needed,
use the reply tab to continue our
conversation. If no further assistance is
needed, kindly rate my service,your
5 star rating is appreciated.
You can rate at any time and we can continue
to work on your question as this will not
close out your question.Keep in mind in some
cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose
or help repair your vehicle without seeing
it and I work on delivering the best
possible answer from what I see to work
with

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok ill have to check tomorrow. .so if im not getting 12v that means the ecm is bad nothing else? Bad plug, bad wiring?
Expert:  trung do replied 2 months ago.

if not 12v then we need to check ecm signal I have to go find diagram let me know tomorrow what u find

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok i will!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i check the connecter on the car and i got almost 9 volts
Expert:  trung do replied 2 months ago.

how the condition of the battery did you check the battery see how much reading you got

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
its good..reading over 12 volts
Expert:  trung do replied 2 months ago.

if your getting 9 v that kinda low . can u ohm the sensor and tell me how much you getting

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Got 9.38 volts and nothing with omhs
Expert:  trung do replied 2 months ago.

u reading OL when you ohms the sensor

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
when i have the car on and put the meter to the top two holes i get .002..on the bottom two i get 9.46 volts..when i do omhs i get on the top two OL nothing, bottom two 0.0..with the car off i get nothing in all holes for volts, but the top two i get 9.32 ohms and bottom two 5.50..
Expert:  Jim replied 2 months ago.

We have seen this problem many times, what we see is a vacuum leak causing this issue. The following test should be done.

Check for abnormal fuel trims. Check to see if the fuel trim readings are abnormally high. If the fuel trim readings are high, check for a vacuum leak at the intake manifold or brake booster. An intake manifold leak (which can be intermittent) and the brake booster will cause high fuel trims at idle but will lower as the engine is revved up.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Couldnt just be i have the wrong 02 sensor? Know toyotas can be sensitive. .and i know the new one is not oe it just fits my car..
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Guess the original is heated and wide bandwidth. Dont think this one in my car now is..
Expert:  Jim replied 2 months ago.

Yes you want to make sure the right part is in the vehicle, it has been my experience when it comes to sensors and electronic parts it is best to use dealer parts only. I can not tell you how many bad parts or out of spec parts we get right out of the box. A lot of these parts are made in China and just don't work.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok i have to order the 02sensor, ill try and get it right away and clear the codes..should i clear the codes or unhook the battery and reset everything
Expert:  Jim replied 2 months ago.

You can use either method, both work the same.