Amedee
Amedee, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2001 Highlander 3.0 V6. Engine has no spark and no injector

Customer Question

2001 Highlander 3.0 V6. Engine has no spark and no injector pulse.We have tried a new crankshaft sensor and a camshaft sensor.Still no spark or pulse on injector. Coil has a 5 volt reference,ground and power with key on. Noid light in injector wire never flashes. We have checked the fuses and switched the relay in under hood power distribution box for the ignition. Check engine light does turn on with key for bulb test. Set codes for all coil circuits inop. Also P1325 for number 6 coil igniter failure.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: Light stays on continuous except when cranking. Was towed in. Customer stated she thought it might be related to her going to a different car wash when it started happening.
JA: Are you fixing your Highlander yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: This vehicle is in my auto repair facility
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I will talk to Identifix this morning on this issue. Shop computers went down last night. We disconnected all coils one at a time to see if one bad coil might be taking out the ignition system. I did have an rpm signal during an extended crank period.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you anyway I can.

Based on my experience, this condition is caused by incorrecr valve timing or a faulty computer. You might want to have them check the timing belt and timing marks to be sure they line up correctly and then check the wiring from the can and crank sensors back to the computer. If all checks out ok, I would suspect a faulty computer. However, incorrect valve timning (broken or jumped timing belt) is much more common to cause this condition you are experiencing.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STAR SERVICE" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.