trung do
trung do,
Experience:  journeyman technician at stevens creek toyota
96884327

My moomroof is stuck with 1-2 inches showing in the open

My moomroof is stuck with 1-2 inches showing in the open position. When I push the close button it makes a "click" but does not move. Being stuck in an "open" position is not good with winter just around the corner. Any advice would be appreciated. THANKS
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: Its been going on a couple of days. The noise is coming from the front of the moonroof just under the front lip.
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2004 Highlander
JA: Are you fixing your Highlander yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would like to fix it myself. So far I have cleaned out some debris that blew in around the track.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I did check for a blown fuse

HI THIS IS TRUNG WILL BE HELPING YOU TODAY

WHEN GOING TO THE CLOSE POSITION , DID U HEAR THE MOTOR RUNNING OR NO NOISE AT ALL

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Trung: : Thank You. ***** push the close button I hear a "clunk" as if a solenoid was closing but the window does not move and shut into its closed position.

SOME ISSUE WITH THE RUN ROOF IS THE GEAR BIND WITH THE CLOSING CHAIN . AND THIS CHAIN WHICH IS ATTACH TO THE ROOF IS PLASTIC . I HAVE TIME WHEN REMOVE THE PLASTIC CHAIN IS DESTROY BY THE GEAR HEAD HAVE U TRY HELPING THE ROOF CLOSE WHEN PRESSING THE BUTTON

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will try in the morning to press on the sun roof at the same time as pressing the close button. As the car is parked outside it is too late to do this tonight. Thanks for this advice.

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue
If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.
A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated
If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue
Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.
you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue
(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)
Thank You
TRUNG DO
?ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN

NO PROBLEM KEEP ME UPDATED

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
a family emergency occurred and I have to spend the day at MCV hospital. I will get back with you later today, but for now the moon roof remains stuck in the open position. Thanks for your advice so far.

how is everything going so far .

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Good Morning Trung : I have tried your technique of pressing the close button and trying to shut the window by hand at the same time.This has changed nothing and the window remains open. The window is quite firm in its position and does not wiggle a bit when pressing the close button. I still get a distinctive ,dull, clunk-clunk sound when I cycle the button . Is my next step to open the gear mechanism? if so how does that work without removing the headliner?
Thnaks again for your expertise.

u can remove the top box for the switch it should just pop out in front and release from there you can access the motor

do you still need further assistance on the issues?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi: Today I removed the "top box", like you said, It did NOT pop out like you stated rather it was held in place with 4 hidden screws that took a long time to figure out where they were. I am glad I found them before continuing to pry on the switch box and break it. I have checked out the moon roof motor and find it is working well and strong. It now seems the lifting arms are rather stuck and thus the headliner will have to be taken down to access them in order to find out why it is binding.

removing headliner is a big job ,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi: I was able to check the sunroof motor and it was working OK, I then found I had stuck/frozen/rusted push-pull cables that were attached to the motor. This necessitated opening up the roof headliner and replacing the cable system. The cost to me was $723, however I know a dealer would have charged me for six hours of labour at a cost to me of $1500 plus. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Patience does pay. BILL

If more help is needed,
use the reply tab to continue our
conversation. If no further assistance is
needed, kindly rate my service,your
5 star rating is appreciated.
You can rate at any time and we can continue
to work on your question as this will not
close out your question.Keep in mind in some
cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose
or help repair your vehicle without seeing
it and I work on delivering the best
possible answer from what I see to work
with

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for your help. I had to get new lift mechanism at a cost of $723.