Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng, Repaired my own cars and others for 20 years, worked in Formula 1 for 10 years
12772297

I have a 2006 Tundra V8 SR5 and the engine only has about

I have a 2006 Tundra V8 SR5 and the engine only has about 500 miles on it. When I try to accelerate there is not much power no matter how hard I step on the gas. But.... if I disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and then reconnect I have full power for a day or two.Initial codes were P0148 and P2445 but the codes were cleared and same problem persistsPlease help, thanks

Hello

This sounds like a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

1st thing to try is to remove the fuel filler cap and then flick the ignition on whilst listening for the brief ‘buzz’ of the pump

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,

Ideally measure the pressure at the injector rail (should usually be around 3Bar / 45psi +) and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

You can also get this issue with contaminated fuel , if there’s water or dirt in the tank then either the petrol floats on top of the water or the filter sock on the pump is choked up – so if the other things check out then I’d consider pulling out the fuel pump and cleaning the filter sock

And one other thing to try is to loosen off the fuel filler cap, as there’s a 1 way valve built into the cap to let air into the tank and so prevent a vacuum from being created as the fuel leaves the tank to the engine

If this helps then replace the cap with a new item

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I agree with your response and will try this 1st thing tomorrow. But, why would resetting the battery eliminate this problem for 24-48 hrs?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also I meant 50,000 miles on the engine.

hello

resetting the battery points to it being an electrical issue and I should have also mentioned that it could be a faulty fuel pump control module

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is there a way to check if that is bad?

Hello

if the module is getting 12V but the fuel pump doesn't run for the usual 2 seconds on the 1st key position then its likely that module may be faulty

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Matt,I rated the answer. Will not have time to work on the truck until this weekend. If I have a questions or two can I still ask moving forward this weekend?Thank you,
Brent

Hello Brent

just get back to me on this post as it'll stay open until you rate my answer and even then it still can be picked up for a week afterwards