Craig Manning
Craig Manning,
Experience:  High Level- Senior Technician at Firestone Complete Auto Care
97029787

Looking to buy a used Toyota Prius 2008-2010. This will be

Customer Question

Looking to buy a used Toyota Prius 2008-2010. This will be just a commuter car. Have the following questions below;What things should I looking at to gauge condition cosmetically & mechanically?How do I determine life expectancy of the battery pack?What years are the best to look for?
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  trung do replied 11 days ago.

HI THANK FOR USING JUSTANSWER.COM

Expert:  trung do replied 11 days ago.

IT ALL DEPEND ONE THE MILAGE 201O IS THE NEW THIRD GEN MODEL , 08-09 IS SECOND GEN BODY AND WARRANTY FOR BATTERY IS 10YEAR OR 150 MILE

Expert:  trung do replied 11 days ago.

I​ HAVE OWN A 2007 PRIUS WITH GAUGE READING 134K MILAGE HAVING HAD ANY ISSUE WITH BATTERY JUST A FEW EXTERNAL COMPONENT

Expert:  trung do replied 11 days ago.

MY BEST ADVISE WOULD BE BUYING 2010 SINCE WARRANTY STILL APPLY AND I HAVE NOT SEEN ISSUE WITH THEM , DAILY WORK IS AT TOYOTA DEALER SO MY BEST RECOMMADATION IS 2010

Expert:  trung do replied 11 days ago.

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You

TRUNG DO

ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN

TOYOTA CERTIFIED EXPERT TECHNICIAN

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Please submit my questions back in the queue for someone to answer the question. I'm not happy with your response.
Expert:  Craig Manning replied 11 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! The life expectancy of the battery pack is largely determined by mileage, the lower the miles the more life you have left in the battery. You can also drive the car to assure that the battery is charging properly when braking (regenerative braking) as well as when motor is running. Give me just a minute to gather some more information.

Cosmetics are any easy one to inspect. The interior should be free of any unpleasant orders, stains, scuffs, or tears in the upholstery. The exterior you when to check and see if the vehicle has any rust, spots where the paint is bubbling, scratches, paint chips and the most obvious, dents. If they will let you see under the vehicle you can also check to make sure that the underbody is not excessively rusted. Be sure to check that none of the exterior lamp assemblies are holding water.

Mechanically is a lot more in depth. The engine fluid levels should all be in the recommended range and no leaks should be present. Tires should have at least 6/32nds of tread remaining at the lowest point with no more then 1 to 2/32nds of tread difference between inside, center, and outside treads on each wheel. If they will raise the vehicle for you, check the tires for nails or defects as well as inspecting the shocks and struts for signs of wear or leakage. You should also check the front end steering components for excessive wear when the vehicle is off the ground by shaking each front wheel up and down as well as side to side, if you feel any movement that is not also moving the other wheel you want to have a mechanic diagnose the failures. If they will remove the wheels for you then you want to ensure that the brake pads (inner and outer pads) are at least 6mm thick. Again from under the car examine the underside of the engine for any fluid leaks.

The 2010 model years are the 3rd generation and as the previous expert has suggested, they do have the longest time remaining on the battery pack's warranty (providing the mileage is not near to 150,000 miles).

Are there any concerns you have that I may have failed to address?