Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

98 camry. just started. The center vents don't work at all

Customer Question

98 camry. just started. The center vents don't work at all and the defroster blows on all settings.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Wow that's off the wall. I know the lights work.
JA: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I took the front area out(the radio and switch area).
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 15 days ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. I value your input to my questions so I may help you better. These controls are cable activated so you need to remove some covers under the dash to gain access to see the cables connected to the heater box controls.possibly one has come off or broke. It will be the one to the direction door usually on the driver's side of the heater box. If you pull the carpet near the accelerator pedal back and the plastic cover off you should see it.Then operate that control and see how it moves.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
even if that electric switch controls all of those functions, cables adjust the different areas?

There are three screws that hold the actuator motor to the side of the box. Click the link below to locate the screws . These top 2 screws are not accessible because they are covered by the large rotating cam device. If you look very closely at the white plate and in the center there is a lock tab usually about at the 12 o'clock position depending on where you have the controls set at. Use a small screw driver or pick to release this tab then pull out on the white cam plate. The tab is on the circumference of the center shaft. You will only see a slit slit or gap. The picture in the book sucks. lift the small tab up or away from the center shaft and the claw will clear the groove in the shaft. I will supply pics to help you if your going to try and tackle this yourself. As you'll see the white plastic plate. The red arrow points to the tab that has to be released in order to remove that plate. The two screws in the circles allow you to remove that plastic bracket. Sometimes you can rotate the actuator far enough so that it will clear without removing. Make sure you get everything lined backup in the proper holes and slots when you put it back together.

Ifyou see every thing is ok at the heater box connections then you will have to remove the controlls and check there.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I want to look at this myself, but probably won't get to it for a few days. Can I get back to you at a later time or is this a limited transaction?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I know with Thanksgiving coming up and all it will be pretty hard to get in touch until next week.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I would appreciate anything you can send me. Eric

I will look what I may find and send it to you Have a good Thanksgiving.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 14 days ago.

here is what the blend door actuator looks like If you can move it manualy and achieve what you want then check the cables or control