Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

200o Toyota Tundra cranks, but won't fire. Drove it home

Customer Question

200o Toyota Tundra cranks, but won't fire. Drove it home Friday where it sat in the driveway over the weekend, wouldn't fire Monday morning. Truck is well maintained by a professional mechanic, but never changed the timing belt. Cranks at a normal speed and battery is less than a year old. Mechanic said tow it in so he can check on it, but I was wondering if there's anything I can check at home first. Thanks, Chris
JA: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?
Customer: 157k. Never changed it yet.
JA: What year is your Tundra?
Customer: 2000 sorry; typo
JA: Are you fixing your Tundra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'd prefer to if it isn't a major repair, but will have the mechanic do it if it is. I tried starting it three or four times, but had to run off to work in my wife's car so I haven't had time to try anything.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 17 days ago.

Thanks for posting

Is it a V8 or V6 engine. Both use timing belts but if it seems to crank normally like it has compression it may not be the problem, even if it jumped a tooth it should still try to start, the first thing that should be checked is to see what's missing, spark or fuel?

Try spraying some chemical like brake cleaner or starting fluid directly into the intake and see if it responds and runs for a second or so, if it does the fuel is the problem and it may need a fuel pump. If there is no response then the problem may be electrical so it should be checked to see if spark is getting to the plugs and then go from there.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
It's a 4.7 liter V8. Ok, will try the starter fluid sprayed directly into the intake. Is the fuel pump difficult to get to and change?Thanks, Chris

Yes a little, the tank has to be lowered to get it out. Please keep me posted .