Adam
Adam, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE master, L1 Advanced Engine Performance Specialist, over 10 years of experience
8304237

Installed a new radiator today no problem, unhooked the

installed a new radiator today no problem, unhooked the negative battery cable yesterday when I started and after finishing today, rehooked it up and motor turned over but would barely run.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes finally got it started and every things functioned drove it for a while, shut if off came back out several hrs later same problem.
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2000 tundra, 4.7 v8 286000 miles.
JA: Are you fixing your Tundra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, nothing yet
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: When you diconect the battery cable, do you to do anything to reset the computor?

The idle speed has reset itself after the battery disconnect. With the high mileage on the truck I am sure that the throttle body is full of carbon. After the battery was reconnected the default settings (o miles) are used until the ecu has enough feedback to make adjustments. I am assuming that you are able to rev the engine, and the concern is just with idle speed. Clean the throttle body and let it run, giving the computer time to calibrate everything.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
will check the throttle body and clean, see if that helps. Hard to get is started, turns over but acts like no fuel, then starts but rough, after reving up will run and Idl. Drove around and shut off same problem. Hope the cleaning helps. How long does it take to reset itself?

You should notice a big difference right away after the cleaning. Then it will just take a few miles of driving to get it back to normal. Pretty common scenario, you'll be fine.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thankyou, Need the old truck, Snow the next three days here in Crested Butte Colorado, my wife used to work in Denver at Toyota motor credit. Love my toyotas. Tom Jansen

Happy to help Tom, we just got a few flurries here in MA tonight. I'll be ready for the snow tire rush in the morning!

How's the truck running Tom?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Great, cleaned throttle body, drove to Boulder 250 miles, never missed a beat. Thanks, ***** ***** Butte, Colorado.

Glad to hear it Tom. Please be sure to rate my assistance so we can close the question.

Thanks,

Adam