nelson freitas
nelson freitas,
Experience:  AutomotiveTechnician at brantford toyota
96947379

I have a 2009 Toyota Rav 4 and thelight and also the check

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Toyota Rav 4 and the*****light and also the check engine light came on for no reason, no spinning or anything just driving on dry pavement. it has done it twice and then stays on for 1-2 days and then it will go off by itself. I recently had new rotors and pads all around, don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. Also, I don't know how to check the transmission fluid.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: It stays on and today it kind of smelled hot and then it went off again.
JA: Are you fixing your RAV4 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing at all really just tried to back it up and see if it would go out of*****
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  nelson freitas replied 17 days ago.

My name is***** am a certified automotive mechanic and have been for over 12 years, and i am currently working at a Toyota Dealership. I hope that I can help you with your problem.

Firstly if there was a problem with the*****system, only that light would be on. Toyota usually disables*****and stability control when the check engine light is turned on. do you have access to a code reader to check to see what codes have turned on the check engine light?

If you do have access to one, please check to see which DTC's are stored and let me know. I can then try to help you diagnose the problem from there.

Nelson

Also if you have found any of this information helpful, please leave feedback accordingly. Thank you

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No I do not have access to a code reader.

ok, I am not sure if you would liek to purchase a code reader or not. An inexpensive one usually costs about 80-100 dollars.

If not many parts stores and some repair facilities offer free engine light scanning.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No I am not going to purchase a code reader. Is that all the information that you can give me, if so I can't believe I paid 19.00 for you to ask me if I wanted to purchase a code reader.
Expert:  nelson freitas replied 16 days ago.

I am sorry,but without being able to retrieve the codes I am unable to know of which direction to help point you in.

Also as I mentioned many parts stores, and automotive repair facilities will scan your check engine light for you for free to let you know what codes are stored in the computer.

Expert:  nelson freitas replied 13 days ago.

I was just wondering if you were able to retrieve the codes that are stored in the engine's computer?

Let me know if I can be of any assistance

Nelson