Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Leaking differential fluid. Dealer refilled. They didn,

Customer Question

Leaking differential fluid. Dealer refilled. They didn
JA: What is the color and consistency of the fluid? And where exactly are you finding it?
Customer: Wetness around bottom and a few drips on the ground. But its new fluid now.
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2008 rav 4 limited v6
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Dealer says they can replace seal
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't hear anything during driving but dealer says they heard a wine.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Eric replied 17 days ago.

Front or rear differential?

You state the the dealer says they can replace the seal. So is your question about how much it will cost, or how to do yourself?

Do you know which seal that stated is leaking

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I think Right side shaft
Expert:  Eric replied 17 days ago.

HI,

Ok, front or rear?

Are you wanting to know what it should cost to repair or how to repair yourself?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Should the whining be loud enough to be heard. The car sat for several months before I bought it and had regular dealer service before I bought it. Should I be asking the dealer about metal in fluid? Replacement is over $2000. Should I just have seal replaced and see what happens.
Expert:  Eric replied 17 days ago.

HI,

If it is the front differential you should hear it. If it is the rear differential you likely will not hear it until it has gotten real bad.

Yes, you need to ask if there is metal in the fluid. If there is, then replacing the seal wont make a difference at this point as the damage to the differential is already done.

If no metal in the differential, then just have the seal replaced.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Expert:  Eric replied 16 days ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Expert:  Eric replied 15 days ago.

At this time please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks for you response.
Expert:  Eric replied 15 days ago.

Expert:  Eric replied 10 days ago.