Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

Intermittent accelerator failure and a couple of times

Customer Question

intermittent accelerator failure and a couple of times engine racing but that hasnt happened in a while. never happens when near dealership but engine just idles and working gas pedal a njmber of times will finally accelerate the truck a 2007 5.7 4wd tundra
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: vehicle starts well and has always been a gas hog
JA: What year is your Tundra?
Customer: 2007 4wd tundra
JA: Are you fixing your Tundra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: would fix it if i knew what to replCE BUT HAVENT DONE ANYTHING WITH IT EXCEPT CHANGE OIL AND FILTER
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: THATS IT
Category: Toyota
Expert:  nelson freitas replied 3 months ago.

I am Nelson, I am an automotive technician with over 12 years experience, and currently working at a Toyota dealership.

this problem does seem quite odd, I have run into a similar problem before. Is there any possibility that you could be hitting the brake pedal at the same time as the gas pedal?

Ever since the "accidental acceleration" some people had complaints of, Toyota now has prevented this from happening by causing the engine to idle and not accelerate if both the gas pedal and brake pedal are applied at the same time. maybe try to apply the brake pedal lightly while trying to accelerate to see if the same symptom occurs.

Hope this helps, and please feel free to ask for any more information if you need.

Nelson

Also if you have found this helpful please leave feedback accordingly, Thank you

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
not even close to the brake pedal when the non responsive gas pedal doesnt accelerate the truck. surging problem hasnt occured since 2009 when dealership did something to the gas pedal under a recall it. so this doesnt help me any

ok i just wanted to ensure that, that wasn't the cause, have there been any fault codes stored or check engine lights on when this does occur or when engine dies?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
none at all. checked everytime it occured. truck coming on to 100,000 miles and this is happening 3 to 6 times every two weeks now which is an increase in frequency
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
engine never dies it just idles away while im pumping the gas pedal until it finally responds..no codes or engine lights ever

OK, this does seem quite odd the only thing that comes to mind in this situation is that there may be a problem with the accelerator pedal. It seems like it may not be sending a signal out to operate the throttle. But it does seem quite odd that there are no codes stored in t computer, because the "drive by wire" throttle body has many different sensors to ensure proper operation.

Unfortunately It seems like there is a problem with the Toyota website. I have been disconnected and will not reconnect for me. seems like the system may be down. But I will check back again in the morning and update you with anything that I am able to find.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks look forward to your response

hello,

After quite a bit of searching on the Toyota dealer website I was unable to find any helpful information that could help diagnose your intermittent problem.

The only suggestion that I could make is to if possible, leave the truck at the dealership for a few days so that they could try to duplicate the problem. Because unfortunately with an intermittent problem like this any diagnostic process needs to be made while the problem is occurring.

Also I know that not too many technicians are aware but one of the vehicles computers stores a detailed log of vehicle information while driving. This log is usually stored in the SRS (air bag) module. This can be a useful tool to help them diagnose your intermittent problem.

I am sorry that I could not help resolve the problem with your truck, but if you have any new information related to this problem I'ld like to hear it to try and help find the cause of your problem.

Also if there is a solution found I'ld like to hear what the cause of this problem might have been.

Good luck,

Nelson

If you have found any of this helpful, please feel free to leave feedback accordingly, Thank you

Just checking to see if there has been any solution found to your acceleration problem?

If there has been a solution I'l like to hear what it was

Thanks,

Nelson

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no answer to problem. presently dormant will just have to be cautious
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** Toyota master tech here to help you. cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your input to my questions so I can help you better. I read your questions and notes that have been done . There are three things that an engine needs to operate properly (1) spark, (2) fuel , (air). So reading your notes you have spark, so now we can look at fuel and air. Because you have no codes we will focus on none sensor areas. How many miles are on the Tundra? Have you had it tuned up recently?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
like i said the engine is idling away while im pumping on the gas pedal awaiting for it to respond no tune ups or service other than regular oil and filter changes 90,000 miles but this condition has happenes 8 or ten times since i bought the truck new

Aw I'm sorry I must of missed that what you said it was going on that long. I will give you a link to show you what to do to check if you have a bad pedal sensor and if you do it should be covered by Toyota as it was a safety recall. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR-3nMD-f6U

Just checking to see if you require further assistance , if not could you please take the time to rate my service, thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
WATCHED THE UTUBE ON STICKING GAS PEDALS.. TOOK THE TRUCK IN BACK WHEN THERE WAS THE RECALL AND WAS TOLD I DIDNT HAVE THE RECALLED PEDAL. DONT USE THE FACTORY FLOOR MATS SO THAT ISNT AN ISSUE. LIKE I SAID THE THROTTLE WILL NOT RESPOND - TRUCK WILL NOT ACCELERATE AT ALL EVEN THOUGH IM PUMPING THE GAS PEDAL. PROBLEM IS INTERMITANT AND DOESNT LAST LONG ENOUGH FOR A TECHNITIAN TO VIEW IT.. IM SURE THERE HAS TO BE SOMEONE ELSE EXPERIENCING THIS ISSUE SOMEWHERE THAT COULD TEL ME WHATS WRONG .. JUST WISH THERE WAS A CODE TO POINT OUT THE PROBLEM. REALLY WISH I HAD BOUGHT A FORD LIKE I HAVE ALWAYS DONE IN THE PAST

Ok thanx for that info there is a tsb on that you can call the dealer to see if yours is effected as well it is a ECU flash program for drive ability issues. TSB 285-10 and 273-10 TSB stands for (TOYOTA SERVICE BULLETIN)