Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

1988 fj62 will not fire. One day it will start with no

Customer Question

1988 fj62 will not fire. One day it will start with no problem, then on another occasion acts as there is no power to plugs, just cranks over and does not fire.
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: Fluctuates
JA: What is the model of your '88 Toyota?
Customer: FJ62
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Fixing my self, would like to know where to start trouble shooting
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Sometimes it will run really rough and will try to die, after driving awhile it will settle down and run fine
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 16 days ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. I value your input to my questions so I can help you better. This is what we do in a shop when we get an intermittent problem as you have . First off never assume what it may be we need to find out if indeed it is either electrical or fuel related. To do this you have to be prepared to do some quick tests when it acts up .Get ytourself a can of quick start and a spark tester. You can usually get both at your local automotive supply stores.

Now when it acts up spray some quick start into the intake and see if it tries to fire. Caution - don't just spray lots in and try it yourself. have someone crack it while you just give it a little shot. just enough to see if it tries to fire. Easily enough to do by removing the air intake hose to the throttle body. If it kicks or tries to fire then it's most likely fuel problem. If it don't then we need to use that spark tester to see if it is sparking.