Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

I have a 2002 Highlander that is extremely slow in accepting

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Highlander that is extremely slow in accepting gas at the gas station. I have checked all the hoses going to the charcoal cann. except the larger 1"? hose and they were all clear.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of. It starts up fine.
JA: Are you fixing your Highlander yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am trying myself. I looked online and found a lot about clogged air vents in the filler area.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that I already checked the hoses to and from the charcoal cannister below the gas tank and there were no visible clogs.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 15 days ago.

The problem is in the onboard vapor recovery valve on top of the fuel tank is damaged or has fuel on top of the read valve not allowing the vapor pressure when filling to escape from the tank. Check the large corrugated hose coming from the top of the fuel tank to the charcoal canister, if you disconnect that at the canister and it will accept gas, then your problem is in that valve on top of the tank.

The other thing that I have seen is this is the rubber hose that extends off of the canister in the frame rail will get cobwebs built up inside that diaphragm and not allow the air to escape from the charcoal canister. Previous reply it should of said if you remove that corrugated hose from the canister from the tank and the problem is still there the problem is in the valve on top of the tank.