Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Several months back my car was experiencing sputtering, weak

Customer Question

Several months back my car was experiencing sputtering, weak acceleration (in the lower gears) and poor power and undesirable fuel economy. So I replaced the spark plugs and this helped for a few months and then recently the issue cropped again so I replaced the ignition coil and this helped marginally, the sputtering isn't as bad but there's still a lack of power and good normal acceleration. I'm curious if there's another issue outside of the ignition and spark plug system that could be causing this symptom. Thanks!
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 15 days ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Could you please let me know if the amber Check Engine light is illuminated at the instrument panel. Thanks

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The light briefly flashed a couple times a week ago when the car was struggling to accelerate up hill in first gear but other than that it's not on. My car has over 200,000 miles on it. Could this be a fuel system issue or a case of needing more transmission fluid?
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 14 days ago.

It would be prudent to get the car scanned, by a really good scanner (one that can read "history" codes). Since the light flashed, this indicates you have an intermittent problem which may have set a history code. If we have the code, we can pursue the cause and then arrive at a cure. Speculating on issues like this can expend a lot of money needlessly. We need to know the cause before we start purchasing anything. I can tell you this, though: These cars run very poorly on any spark plug other than Nippondenso spark plugs. Also, if the ignition coil(s) is/are not factory, this too can cause the problem you are having. If you do not have Nippondenso plugs in this engine, I highly recommend you get a set form a Toyota dealer and have them installed.