Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

I have a 2003 Toyota Sienna. When I am braking, I heard a

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Toyota Sienna. When I am braking, I heard a loud chirping sound from the left rear tire. My mechanic has replaced the rear brake drums and shoes, and I also have the tires rotated, but the noise hasn't changed.
JA: Have you ever changed a tire on this vehicle?
Customer: Yes. I also had the tires rotated recently, and the chirping still comes from the left rear, so I don't think it's the tires.
JA: Are you fixing your Sienna yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I have a mechanic do it. So far, new rear brakes and tire rotation. The sound hasn't changed. I have noticed that the sound does not appear when I am braking in reverse. Only going forward. Another factor is that the ABS light sometimes stays on after starting the car. This is intermittent.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am wondering whether the problem might be wheel bearing. What is this service? An advice line? I saw this chat window pop up on a web site.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. I value your input to my questions so I may help you better. These older Sienna's had a campaign on the rear drum brake , drum and backing plate replacement. I'm not sure if these are still covered as no charge but what the problem was ,the older style backing plates had a double webbing where rust would get between and distort it You can contact any Toyota dealer and they will give you the updated part number to solve this .

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you.

Your welcome and let me know how you make out. Please don't forget to rate my answer.

Just checking in and if you need further help. If not could you please take the time to rate my help. Thank you.