Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

I have a 2003 Toyota Sienna. When I am braking, I heard a

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Toyota Sienna. When I am braking, I heard a loud chirping sound from the left rear tire. My mechanic has replaced the rear brake drums and shoes, and I also have the tires rotated, but the noise hasn't changed.
JA: Have you ever changed a tire on this vehicle?
Customer: Yes. I also had the tires rotated recently, and the chirping still comes from the left rear, so I don't think it's the tires.
JA: Are you fixing your Sienna yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I have a mechanic do it. So far, new rear brakes and tire rotation. The sound hasn't changed. I have noticed that the sound does not appear when I am braking in reverse. Only going forward. Another factor is that the ABS light sometimes stays on after starting the car. This is intermittent.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am wondering whether the problem might be wheel bearing. What is this service? An advice line? I saw this chat window pop up on a web site.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 16 days ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. I value your input to my questions so I may help you better. These older Sienna's had a campaign on the rear drum brake , drum and backing plate replacement. I'm not sure if these are still covered as no charge but what the problem was ,the older style backing plates had a double webbing where rust would get between and distort it You can contact any Toyota dealer and they will give you the updated part number to solve this .

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you.

Your welcome and let me know how you make out. Please don't forget to rate my answer.

Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 13 days ago.

Just checking in and if you need further help. If not could you please take the time to rate my help. Thank you.