Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

I have a 2015 highlander that the rear door (hatch) will not

Customer Question

I have a 2015 highlander that the rear door (hatch) will not close. i have just removed the negative terminal on the battery and getting two beeping sounds.
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 21 days ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. I value your input to my questions so I can help you better. First we have to determine if it is indeed an electrical problem or mechanical. First remove the rear door panel to access the latch mechanism , disconnected the connector to the latch and see if that allows you to close it. while your doing that examine the latch for anything jammed in it and if it needs lubing, also if the spring is still in place on the inside of it's mechanism. Let me know what you find up to that point.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
no still can not close it....nothing in the latch either.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
i cant even get the gate to release on manual, even when i disconnect the power to the RIGHT REAR LIFTGATE LIFT CYLINDER SHOCK i cant get it to release to close the liftgate. Is there a way to release the cylinder shock?
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
i had to close the back so i removed the right rear cylinder....looking for your input?

I'll send you a video on it's operation just in case your missing something. If you removed the battery connection you may have to re initiate the hatch. Procedure should be in your owner's manual. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hYTdw-7fbM

lift the hatch to the full open position and press and held the button at the bottom of the hatch. Beep 4 times and will reset. Hatch should function normally.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
that doesnt work....i can not get it to beep 4 times. i watched the video when i googled it....this has been unhelpful.