Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

CODE P3105 CAME ON. I HAVE A NEW BATTERY, WITH RUNNING FINE

Customer Question

CODE P3105 CAME ON. I HAVE A NEW BATTERY, WITH RUNNING FINE AND THEN THIS CODE CAME ON AND IT WILL NOT GO OR START WELL.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: THE 12 V BATTERY IS NEW AND CLEAN TERMINALS.
JA: What is the model of your '12 Toyota?
Customer: 2002 GEN 1
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: YES , I AM A SHOP OWNER AND HAVE BOUGHT THIS PRIUS TO LEARN MORE ABOUT HYBRIDS. REPLACED BATTERY WITH DORMAN REMAN. HAD SOME TROBLE WITH THE ORANGE KEY, GOT A NEW ONE FROM TOYOTA WAS WORKING FINE.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: THE SWITCH ON THE ORANGE KEY IS HAD TO MAKE WORK, WHEN YOU LIFT THE KEY IN TO POSITION. I JUMPER THE SWITCH. WAS WORKING GOOD.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 7 months ago.

Does your scan tool give you the sub INFO codes?

This would show on the data list with the 3105 code

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will have to look it up. The car is not at the shop. I will get it here and check code. I have snap on modes will it get the sub code.

I do not know if that particular scan tool will give you that information some scan tools add the info code numbers which are three digit numbers in the data list. Clear the codes and try it and see if it will reset with information codes. That helps narrow down the problem. The basis of the code means there's a communication error between the HV ECU and the battery ECU are you certain you have all the connections properly secured? Did you get the high-voltage plug installed correctly?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will recheck. Was Running fine.

OK

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I TRYED THE SNAP ON SCANNER AND IT WOULD NOT READ THE HYBRID BATTERY ECM, I PULLED ALL CONNECTIONS AND CLEAN THEM, E VERY THING STARTED TO WORK, I COULD READ THE BATTERY INFO. I WILL TRY IT FOR A WHILE AND SEE IF THINGS GO OK. IF NOT I WILL EMAIL YOU BACK. THANKS BILL

This code that you have indicates there is a communication error probably on the can network between those two ECUs the HV battery ECU and the hybrid ECU. If you clean all the connections it's possible that could have fixed the problem. Let me know if there any codes other than that in the future or the problem comes back. Could be a loose pin fit also.