Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Check engine vac and travel off came on suddenly. No overt

Customer Question

Check engine vac and travel off came on suddenly. No overt problems. About to go out of town but not with this car. Can we drive it for two days and then address when we get back?
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: No code yet. Realty don't have time to have it checked before everything closes and we both need to get to work tomortow
JA: I'll pass this info along to the Toyota mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2008 suenna
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No we are not and havevtrued nothing. It just happened
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just want an idea of how pressing. Can we go to and from work for two days
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for posting

Most check engine lights are caused by emission control malfunctions which don't affect driveabilty to any great degree, the other lights are secondary and are caused by the check engine light, any skid control or traction control functions as well as cruise control in some cases will be disabled as long as the computer detects a fault of the engine control system. Basically if it's running normally with no loss of power or misfire it should be ok to drive. A common reason for the light to turn on is a loose or missing gas cap so be sure the cap is on tight, you can clear the lights by disconnecting the negative battery cable and then see how long it takes to turn back on, a very common cause is that one of the oxygen sensors in the exhaust if faulty, again, this does not affect driveability. If you get a chance drop by an auto parts store like autozone or O Reilly autoparts, tney can help you read the codes at no charge as long as the check engine light is on. Just reply here to me when you have the code numbers.