Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

Died on the road, thought it maybe water in tank, drained

Customer Question

died on the road, thought it maybe water in tank, drained fuel, new fuel and HEAT cranks will not catch, No sound from the rear of tank when key truned
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: ??? The wheel truns fine, key is fine the rav truns over fine
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2006b rav 4 6 cyc
JA: What year is your Toyota?
Customer: 2006
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: self and just what I wrote
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have codes 300-306 from a code computer
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 4 months ago.

How many miles are on the vehicle? Did you check for fuel pressure at the actual fuel injector rail? You do know that the fuel pump will not run with the key simply in the on position unless the engine is running it will only run when the key is in the start position or the engine is running. If you clear the codes and attempt to restart do any other codes come back?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
160000 miles have not checked to see if the pump is working on the "rail" yes the key was turned all the way on

The first thing you need to do is make sure that you have fuel pressure at the fuel rail on the engine. The codes that you have are all cylinder misfire codes if the fuel pressure started to fail it will cause cylinder misfire before the engine quits. You need at least 35 psi on the fuel rail. You can either jumper the fuel pump directly to see if you can make it run or if there's an electronic issue you won't have power to the fuel pump in the start position. Again you will have no power to the fuel pump with the key simply in the on position. Let me know if there is the fuel pressure we can go from there. After clearing the codes see if you have any other codes besides the cylinder misfire codes when you attempt to restart multiple times.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No I do not want u to call me

Phone call request is an automated request after two replies. Let me know what you find with the fuel pressure and other issues