Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

I own a 2006 Toyota Highlander. Yesterday I took it in to

Customer Question

I own a 2006 Toyota Highlander. Yesterday I took it in to have the oil changed with the usual inspections. Also got a new battery. When I got home three lights came on the dashboard, the TRAC, engine light along with the VSC. I took it back to the dealer. They ran a scan and told me that a oxygen sensor had failed and now needs to be replaced. Can this be a common problem and can I feel comfortable driving my SUV with these dashlights on? The technician told me that maybe the car wash that they offer us each time may have caused this problem. I do not buy his answer. What do you think? Is there any connection with getting a new battery and the sensor going bad?
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: No, I assumed the technicians did. What do you think I should do?
JA: Are you fixing your Highlander yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, I always take the SUV into the dealer for maintenance.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. Just some advice is much needed.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 3 months ago.

Do you have the exact code numbers or the vehicle identification number so I can check a few things on your car?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
JTEGP21A260113479

The code number that was set was P0157. The definition of this code means that bank two sensor two which is an oxygen sensor had voltage that was below .4 V for more than 90 seconds. Typically this means that the oxygen sensor is starting to fail. However it's possible that the system is running slightly lean for an extended period of time due to possible high ethanol content in the fuel or bad gas it could set this code inadvertently. My recommendation at this point would be to clear the codes with a code reader or remove the negative battery cable to clear the codes and put premium fuel in the vehicle and continue to drive to see if the code comes back. It's not likely that the car wash caused this to happen unless it does a severe underbody wash. The bot***** *****ne is this is only a catalyst monitoring sensor and it typically will not hurt to drive the vehicle. Whenever the check engine light comes on the vehicle skid control light and other warning lights will come on by default because of the malfunction code that is registered in the computer. Let me know if this clears things up for you or if you have any other specific questions feel free to reply and I will get back to you after lunch.