Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

08 Toyota Yaris 1.5 DOHC VIN: JTDJT923385210890 No Fan,

Customer Question

08 Toyota Yaris 1.5 DOHC
VIN: JTDJT923385210890No Fan, speedometer or power steering??
problems with the Fuse panel?
someone has been messing around with the fuses, so not sure if they are all there or not
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 3 months ago.

Do you have a picture of the two fuse boxs? Do you have the covers that show what fuse should go where? When you say there's no fan are you referring to the heater fan or the cooling fan under the hood?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok, all fuses are there, yes have covers and every fuse has power to it.
The Cooling fans under the hood.....have power to the fuse box on the fuse.
just wasnt sure if all problems were related?

Are there any warning lights illuminated on the instrument panel? If so do you have a code reader to check the power steering system and the engine control computer? Any service history? Are you a private owner or repair shop?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
small repair shop....
only code is a p0500 vehicle speed sensor
yes have a snap on modis ultra....
no service history...vehicle is new to owner.
there is a P/S light on and a flashing exclamation light
and an intermittent light that says cool.
I have never worked on a yaris

If the power steering light is on there will be code set in the power steering system. Does your modis scan tool give you access to the power steering ECU system? I checked the vehicle identification number there is an open recall for the passenger side airbag and the following codes were set in the computer back on September 26 give or take of this year. Most of these codes are airbag and occupancy detection issues however the P0500 code was also set a 500 code is a speed sensor signal input and this will cause the speedometer to quit working depending on where the fault occurs. That should have no bearing on the cooling fan though. B1650 , B1653 , P2138 , B1771 , P0500 , B1655

If your scan tool will not read power steering codes from the power steering ECU you can retrieve them using a jumper wire. The attached link place a jumper wire between pin three and pin 13 of the DLC three connector. Turn the key to the on position monitor the flash pattern of the power steering light. For example a code 21 will flash two times a slight pause than one flash if there are other codes they will follow a two digit format. Let me know what these code numbers are.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok, the scanner has the option to go to the power steering control, but every time I try to go in it, it says not connected try again...but I can go into every other module and see codes etc...????????

What happens if you use the jumper wire method and count the flashes of the PS light?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok, sorry...I had to do jobs that were paying and didnt require a lot of testing
I tried the jumper wire....there is no pin in #3, but your diagram shows #4 so i tried that and it makes the check engine light flash, and the air bag light flash but the P/S goes away????
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
need diagram of inside fuse/relay box

The power steering ECU which controls power to the power steering motor is on the high-speed can network. If you are scan tool has a feature or option to access that ECU but yet it says is not available this means the ECU is not communicating on the high-speed can network. If you do a network integrity test and it doesn't show up it is not communicating also? The 10 amp ECU – IG fuse feeds the speed sensor which could affect the P0 500 code and also feeds the power steering ECU. Double check that fuse make sure you have power to it. You then have to check to make sure the white wire with a black tracer pin number two at the power steering ECU has ground. If you getting power and ground to the ECU and it still will not communicate on the network than the power steering ECU is bad.