Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2002 Tacoma truck and the radio and cig/pore

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2002 Tacoma truck and the radio and cig/pore outlets don't work. The dome lights and clock work fine. I have checked other sites for an explanation and check the dome, acc and power fuses in the dash and engine compartment. Also the 5amp fuse inline under the drivers dash. I have pulled out the bottom plastic housing between the floor and the ashtray but can't see the back of the radio. Do the power outlets and radio run on same power source? Is there an inline fuse for those items or fuses on the back of the power outlet/cig lighter that might have blown out the radio or visa versa? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you Carolyn.
JA: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?
Customer: I personally don't have a manual but have read online versions. The electrical schematics regarding the wiring are not helpful as to detailed information
JA: Are you fixing your Tacoma yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I have checked all fuses with a met
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Sorry . I have checked all fuses with a meter and have tried to trace wiring like I spoke about above but can only get so far. I don't want to do more damage than just a silent radio and no cig lighter
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. There are two fuses for the radio. 15 amp DOME and 15 amp ACC.

On the power outlets, it becomes a bit more involved. The power outlets have a relay involved. The "points' side of the relay (where the power flows to the outlets) is protected by the 15 amp PWR OUTLET fuse. Power for the coil of the POWER OUTLET RELAY is via the same ACC fuse that powers the radio. The PWR OUTLET Relay is in the fuse panel under the hood. The first thing we need to do is get the meter out and see how many of the PWR OUTLET sockets have power. Can you do this?