Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

There is a check hybrid system warning notice, highlander

Customer Question

There is a check hybrid system warning notice
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: highlander 2006
JA: Are you fixing your Highlander yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We are on the interstate. We noticed the battery vents were covered by luggage so we cleared them. That's all we have done
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: We do not have a voltmeter. There is no leaking. The car turns on and drives at 10 mph and then slowly dies.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: We are pulling a trailer.
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pete replied 25 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This message here is caused by a voltage issue or battery systems fault for the hybrid system.It may be that the vents were covered and caused an over heat condition and all that may need to be done here is to have a compatible scan tool plugged into your model to clear out any fault codes set to resolve this.But it may also be that one or more of the hybrid components are at fault needing replaced.

Unfortunately since there are so many different components that can cause this fault here what has to be done is to have the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set using a fully compatible scan tool.Once this is done any codes set will need diagnosed to locate and repair this issue.I would have this done as soon as you can before driving further on the trip.It is possible the hybrid battery itself is failing needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete