Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I lost the dashboard lights and my key stuck. I could not

Customer Question

I lost the dashboard lights and my key stuck. I could not turn off the pirus 2008. The mechanic got the key out and the lights are on but said that I should not put back the key and he had to install a part that would cost $700.00. Can I go without getting the part and never using the key? Do I really need this expensive part?
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 24 days ago.

Hello, thanks for posting

Exactly which part does the mechanic want to replace, I'll try to help with this but need a little more information, did the mechanic give you a reason for needing this part and what part is it? Did the mechanic check the 12 volt battery in the trunk?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
UNFOTUNATELY HE KEPT THE EXTIMATE. HE SAID IT WAS AND ELECTRICAL SYSTEM THAT WENT UNDER THE DSAH BOARD. HE HAD TO ORDER THE PART. HE WAS AT THE TOYOTA DEALERSHIP.
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
DO NOTCALL

It sounds like they are recommending the theft control computer, that's my best guess, without more specifics and no diagnostic code information that's the best I can do but since it's a dealer and not some independent shop that may not know much about the prius I gues you'll have to trust their decision.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I guess you can't help me. Thanks anyway.

You're welcome hanks for coming here.