Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

The alarm is engaged. the battery on the entry key is dead.

Customer Question

the alarm is engaged. the battery on the entry key is dead. the car has shut down. I have disconnected the alarm horns, but I cannot start the truck
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: The battery in the key is dead. I need a new one. The key light is flashing. I cannot turn the car on.
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2001 tacoma. pre-runner V-6
JA: Are you fixing your Tacoma yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We disengaged the horn, so we can approach the car. But there does not seem to be a way to turn off the security system so we can start it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to just answer .I value your input to my questions so I can help you better. I will give you a link to the owners manual for your system and it will show you how to disarm it until you get things sorted out.You will have to replace the batteries in the fobs as well as check the vehicle's battery and or replace it. Is it original? http://www.cgl.ucsf.edu/home/tef/RS3000/RS3000_OwnersGuide.pdf

Just wondering if you need further help?