Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

Malfunction light came on this morning. went to Adv Auto to

Customer Question

malfunction light came on this morning. went to Adv Auto to get code read. P0770 shift solenoid E malfunction. It is a 1996 Toyota forerunner, 4X4.
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: No I went to Advance Auto & they used their reader.
JA: I'll pass this info along to the Toyota mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. What is the model of your '96 Toyota?
Customer: Forerunner
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing so far. Just got the code & am researching what the hell I need to have done.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't know what questions to ask.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 5 months ago.

Hello, thanks for posting

The shift solenoid E is for the lock up torque converter, it locks the torque converter at higher speeds, most of the time it's not the solenoid that is the problem but it could be contaminated transmission fluid that has distributed metal particles or clutch material into the fluid, the first thing to check is the fluid level and the fluid condition, if the fluid is dark and dirty it may be a good idea to have the transmission completely flushed using a machine, this cleans out the torque converter and replaces the fluid completely, to me it's worth a try instead of taking things apart to replace the solenoid which may not even be the problem. If the transmission is shifting normally and is not slipping this may be all that it needs right now.