Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

Dtc 1231, I believe, 2001 Sequoia, Yes. I replaced the

Customer Question

dtc 1231, I believe
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2001 Sequoia
JA: Are you fixing your Sequoia yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I replaced the steering rack and didn't keep track of how far the steering wheel was turned while the rack was out. Once I put the new steering rack in, the VSC OFF and TRAC light were on. I pulled the codes by counting the blinks of the VSC light and got 3-1
JA: Do you happen to know the code? Have you tried to reset the computer?
Customer: I believe it is DTC C1231. I have cleared the code and it came right back.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. I believe that is it. I am guessing i need to re-center the wheel to the steering angle sensor, OR replace the steering angle sensor. HELP! :)
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer .I value your input to my questions so I can help you better. What you need to do is a zero point calibration of the steering sensor and yaw rate . this has to be done properly with a scan tool that's capable of doing this procedure .most good alignment shops should be able to perform this at a reasonable charge. Hope this helps you solve your issue. And hope yor splines on the shaft and rack are not out too far or you will have to redo that.