Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

My 2010 Prius won't start. The yellow triangle stays lit

Customer Question

My 2010 Prius won't start. The yellow triangle stays lit even when I exist the vehicle with my key fob. In fact it has a high shrill alarm that won't stop when I leave the car with my key fob. I have to leave my key fob in the car so it will stop making the noise. The yellow light will not go off. When I try to push the power button on, the dash lights are all flashing on and off.There is also another symbol that keeps flashing on and off too quick for me to determine what it is. Looks kind of like a lock symbol, but really unsure.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: No. I will try that. where are they located?
JA: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm going to try to fix it myself. It is parked inside my garage facing inwardly,and it is too tight to get a tow truck in the outer space, so cannot tow.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No Thanks.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for posting

About the only thing you can do yourself before having it towed is to check the 12 volt battery in the trunk, a nearly dead battery can cause these kinds of problems so try to either have the tow truck jump start it or try doing it yourself, if it starts replace this battery. It's in the trunk on the right side under the covers in the fenderwell.