Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

Wont turn over. Has a new battery and starter. lights come

Customer Question

wont turn over. Has a new battery and starter. lights come on but doesn't even click when turning the key
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: can turn wheel, the key is good. all the auxiliary comes on but it resembles a dead battery when turning the key to start
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2000 tundra
JA: Are you fixing your Tundra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: new battery and starter. I have a mechanic whos scratching his head
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 25 days ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. I value your input to my questions so I may help you better. Have you tried the starter relay? Is this an automatic or standard transmission?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Automatic, just replaced the starter with a refurbished one. This morning it started fine so it's intermittent .

Ok this will be difficult to actually pinpoint if intermittent.Right now all I can do is give you two of the most common areas to check but keep in mind they will check good if starting ok so you may want to replace one at a time. That is the starter relay in the fuse block under the hood and or the safety neutral switch on the transmission. The neutral switch is known to corrode on these that year.