Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 1988 toyoya 4x4 pickup that leaks fuel from a fuel

Customer Question

I have a 1988 toyoya 4x4 pickup that leaks fuel from a fuel line inside the frame towards the front. The leak occurs after the truck is runnig for a while, even with the truck off. Pressure is also builts up in the tank. Significant vapor built up in the tank after running the engine.
JA: Just to clarify, can you actually see the leak?
Customer: I see the fuel dripping heavy from the frame. Im unable to see the line
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 1988 Toyota P/U 4x4 with a 4 cylinder, fue injection
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Self repair. The previous owner replaced the fuel pump and return fuel flter
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Loud his of vapor from the tank when I remove the gas cap after the truck runs for a fe minutes.
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 26 days ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This really sounds like your fuel line (from the fuel pump to the injector rail) is leaking. This would be something you need to attend to as soon as possible. WHen we see this issue in the shop, the recommended procedure to fix it is replacement of the fuel line. Rusted out fuel lines on a 1988 truck are not uncommon at this age of vehicle.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Please do confirm that you have received my input. Thanks.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
How does the leaking fuel line contribute to the fuel tank building pressure and causing a very noticeable sound when the cap is removed?
The leaking fuel line does not contribute to the pressure. That is most likely a secondary issue, your fuel vapor recovery system is faulty. The leak is probably from rust. The vapor pressure is staying built in the tank because your emission control equipment is either missing, plugged off, faulty, etc. one does not cause the other. You have 2 distinctly different issues with the fuel system.