Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

Intermittent misfire and P1300 DTC. Car starts and drives

Customer Question

Intermittent misfire and P1300 DTC. Car starts and drives fine, runs for miles, then misfires once. If going fast enough the engine catches itself and continues running but if at idle/low speed the engine stalls. If the engine dies it can be restarted within a minute. I've replaced plugs, wires, tested and replaced one igniter coil, and cam position sensor. Aside from the ECM and crank sensor I'm out of ideas.
JA: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?
Customer: No sputter, Stall at low speed/idle after misfire triggers injector shut-off.
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2001 Toyota Camry 2.2L I4
JA: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I already listed that.
JA: Sorry about that. I must have missed it. Could you tell me again?
Customer: I've replaced plugs, wires, tested and replaced one igniter coil, and cam position sensor. Aside from the ECM and crank sensor I'm out of ideas.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 26 days ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer.I value your input to my questions so I may help you better. Have you pulled any codes yet? this would help locate where to start.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I was able to pull code P1300-Ignition Circuit Malfunction No.1 which I believe is attributed to the lack of IGT return signal from coil #1 (Cylinders 2&3).
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I'll accept the call option if you believe you can honestly shed some light on this but I've spoken with 2 Toyota techs and neither have had any helpful information that I haven't already tried.

I unfortunately have to go for the evening but can defiantly shed light on this will be back around 11:00 pm or we can do this tomorrow.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I'll be leaving my shop for the night in an hour or so. Perhaps we can resume tomorrow. If you have any questions by all means ask. I have fairly decent diagnostic equipment, no O-scope though, so this should be pretty painless on your end.

very well tomorrow then

Before I call you could you please tell me if this is your style of coil

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Negative, I have a direct ignition system with 2 cylinders per coil.
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 25 days ago.

Thanx for that info, I will give you a PDF file of your system so you may trace that particular circuit out and find the problem With what you have described I'm leaning more toward a wiring problem rather then a component. http://testroete.com/car/Toyota/celica/repair%20information/repair%20manual/05%20-%20Diagnostics/31.pdf

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
You sent me a diagram depicting a 4-coil system, not applicable to mine. I believe I have solved the problem though. Although the DTC indicated a fault in coil 1 and bench ohm testing showed no inconsistency, I believe at operating temperature the insulation in coil 2 started to break down and failed to fire. I've replaced both igniters and the vehicle hasn't misfired in several hours.

This is similar to the older version i sent you a pick of with the coil inside the distributor .What causes that was too large a spark plug gap or high resistance in the wiring, I thought you previously checked the coils but i guess you can never be too cautious, Good shooting and hope that solved your issue. The nect time you suspect a electrical miss fire there is a trick you can do.At night or when very dark ,lift the hood run the engine and using a spray bottle just mist the ignition. That will light up like a Christmas tree if there is any spark leaks and you'll see where fast. If you need any further help let me know.