Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

The alarm keeps going off...i want to know what to do to

Customer Question

The alarm keeps going off...i want to know what to do to unplug or disable the alarm
JA: Have you tried locking and unlocking the driver's side door using the key itself?
Customer: Yes the only way i can turn it off is putting the F.O.B. in its built in spot and turningbthe car off. Once i turn off the car and take out the F.O.B. it starts again
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: Prius 05
JA: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried the buttons on my keys to turn it off, iv tried shutting and unlocking/locking door, i unplugged the hood sensor , none of these have worked
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thats it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for posting,

These symptoms are usually due to a discharged 12 volt auxiliary battery which is located in the trunk, if you have a charger you can try to charge it at low current of about 10amps for about 5 hours, if it doesn't charge back up the battery needs to be replaced, once these batteries are over 4 years in service they won't take a re charge if depleted and need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I replaced tha battery not to long ago but i will try to charge it up and see if that works

If you have a voltmeter be sure the battery is charged to 12.5 volts.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have one but i dont remember how to use it lol

That's ok, it's pretty straight forward, just connect the red cable to the positive terminal on the battery and the black to the negative. A better way is to just do it from under the hood, open the fuse cover next to the left headlight, you'll see a red cover with a plus sign on it, open the cover and attach the red cable to it and the black to any ground(any unpainted metal surface) connect the charger to 110volt outlet, some chargers are automatic but some not, if possible adjust it so the charging indicator reads about 10 amps. If it has a voltmeter it will read a little over 12 volts when charged up.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thats simple thanks

You're welcome, just let me know if you have any other questions.