Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng, Repaired my own cars and others for 20 years, worked in Formula 1 for 10 years
12772297

I have a '06 Tacoma, 130k miles. Over the past couple 10k

Customer Question

I have a '06 Tacoma, 130k miles. Over the past couple 10k miles a low gutteral noise is coming from the engine compartment. Only at low RPM, between 1000 and 1500 RPM. It's more pronounced when it's cold. I had a friend's shop take a look and couldn't find anything. He did hear the noise and could make it worse or by pushing on the exhaust system while powerbraking around 1200 RPM.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

Hello

I'd say that this sounds like an exhaust leak start by checking all the exhaust joints - where the manifold joins the head and the down pipe joints just before the catylst - the best way to do this is to start the engine from cold and feel around each joint with your bare hands - feeling for exhaust gas blowing over your fingers - you'll have about 30 seconds before it all gets too hot.

Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you